For an in-depth look at the VAPAE Minor, please take a few minutes to watch the video below. "The Making of a Teaching Artist" tracks four UCLA VAPAE students as they develop their arts-based teaching practice, and progressively develop into outstanding Teaching Artists.
Requirements for the Visual and Performing Arts Education (VAPAE) Minor
The minor is restricted to students majoring in Architectural Studies, Art, Art History, Dance, Design Media Arts, Ethnomusicology, Music, Theater, and World Arts and Cultures. Students in the College of Letters and Science may petition to be in the VAPAE Minor. For questions about the process, please email VAPAE@arts.ucla.edu for more details.
Arts Education M102 Application [Download Here]
VAPAE Application [Download Here]
To apply for the minor, students must:
- Have completed at least 50 percent of the lower division preparation for the major requirements of their respective majors
- Have completed Arts Ed M102 (same as Educ M104) with a grade of “B” or better
- Be in good academic standing with at least a 2.7 cumulative GPA
- Submit a formal minor application, including a concentration proposal to be developed in consultation with the VAPAE Director. The application is available from the Office of Student Services, 2200 Broad Art Center; VAPAE Office, 2101 Broad Art Center.
Courses for the minor must be taken for a letter grade. No more than 2 courses/8 units may be applied toward both this minor and a major or minor in another department or program.
Upper Division Requirements
A. Core and Capstone Sequence Requirements (12 units):
Arts Ed M102 (same as Educ M104) - Introduction to Arts Education for Multiple Publics: Theory and Practice
Arts Ed M192 (same as Educ M190) - Arts Education Teaching Practicum
Arts Ed M192SL (same as Educ M190SL) - Arts Education Teaching Practicum and Capstone Project
B. Arts Education Requirement - Two courses (8 – 9 units) selected from:
Arts Ed 20, 101, 103, 105, 195 (4 units), 197 (4 units)
C. Upper Division Education Requirement - One course (4 – 5 units):
A list of recommended courses is available below, and from the Office of Student Services or the Arts Education Program Office.
D. Upper division Elective Requirement - One course (minimum 4 units) selected from Arts Education or, by petition, an Arts Education related course:
A list of recommended courses is available from the Office of Student Services of the Arts Education Program Office.
Total Units Required for the Minor: 28-30
Education courses for VAPAE students
GSE&IS, in collaboration with the VAPAE minor, has allocated a limited number of PTEs for VAPAE students for selected education courses throughout the academic year. If you are interested in enrolling in one of the education courses listed below, please contact Amorette Muzingo (VAPAE Program Coordinator) or Merrillyn Pace (Director of Student Services) for more information.
Five PTEs for each of the courses offered by GSE&IS have been allocated for UCLA Arts students - with priority being given to VAPAE minors and current Arts Education Teaching Sequence students.
- Education M102: Mexican Americans and Schools
- Education M103: Asian American Education and Schooling
- Education M108: Sociology of Education
- Education 118: Literacy in Society
- Education 120: Early Childhood Development
- Education 121: Introduction to K-12 Issues in American Public Education
- Education 123: Teaching Profession
- Education C125: Politics of Education
- Education C126: Educational Anthropology
- Education 127: Educational Psychology
- Education 128: Adolescent Psychosocial Development: Problems and Potentialities
- Education 130: Race, Class, and Education Inequality in U.S.
- Education 131: Issues in American Education: Perspectives from History and Pop Culture
- Education 132: Autism: Mind, Brain, and Education
- Education M136: Working Families and Educational Inequalities in Urban Schools
- Education 138: Critical Pedagogy and Cultural Studies in Urban Education
- Education 147: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues in Education and Law
- Education 164: Race and Education: Access, Equity, and Achievement
Arts Education related courses
- Art 186A: Beyond Mexican Mural: Beginning Muralism and Community Development
- Art 186AL: Beyond Mexican Mural: Beginning Muralism and Community Development Laboratory
- Dance 165: Foundations of Dance Education
- Dance 166: Dance as Culture in Education
- Dance 167: Creative Dance for Children
- Disability Studies 101 or 101W: Perspectives on Disability Studies
- Disability Studies 129: Theory, Policy, and Practice of Special Education
- Disability Studies M139: Perspectives on Autism and Neurodiversity
- Ethnomusicology 196: World Music Teaching Practicum
- Music 100A: Music in American Education
- Music 100B: Musicality and Creativity in Childhood
- Psychiatry 175: Mindfulness Practice and Theory
- Theatre 118A: Creative Dramatics
- Theatre 118B: Advanced Creative Dramatics
- Theatre 118C: Interactive Theatre
- Theatre 118D: ArtsBridge Teaching Practicum
- World Arts and Cultures 100A: Art as Social Action
- World Arts and Cultures 100B: Art as Moral Action
- World Arts and Cultures 103: Arts in Communities
- World Arts and Cultures C158: Theorizing Arts Activism
- World Arts and Cultures C159: Art and Global Health
- World Arts and Cultures 177SL: Taking Action: Arts Practice and Community Service